THE HISTORY OF VILLAGE CHOTOVINY

 

Ever since, Chotoviny were always considered a great place to settle. That is indicated by the discovery, which was donated to the archeological collection of the National Museum in 1827 by Mr. Freudig, who near Chotoviny's church (chapel) found a copper Slavic jewelry in S-shape that were used as a hair clip. These hair clips were often found in Slavic tombs. This discovery was one of the first registered archeological founding in South Bohemia and is dated back to the 12th century.

Considering, there were additional minor discoveries, at the beginning of the 20's of the last century Josef Svehla carried out a detailed search of the Chotoviny area. During the search Svehla discovered a tomb about 70 cm deep underneath a flat rock. In the tomb he found a human skeleton with hair clips and a copper ring. The tomb origin is estimated to be from 9th - 12th century.

For the better understanding of the history of Chotoviny we need to remember that initially there were two very closely situated but entirely independent settlements, Chotoviny and Vlkancice, each with an individual owner. For example in 14th century Chotoviny was made up of several cottages that were grouped around the church and its pastorate (vicarage). The first written documentation about Chotoviny is from 1266 and mentions some Borislav and from year 1318 mentions some Rivik, both with home in Chotoviny. Half of the way through the 14th century the Chotoviny is remembered as a chapelry in deanery of Vltava. In 1345 the King Jan Lucembursky gave Chotoviny to family of the Rozmberks in order to pay off large debt. Rozmberks combined the village with Pribenice. Chotoviny remained in ownership of the Rozmberks, the ancient Bohemian Royalty, until the end of 16th century.

Vlkancice also known as Vklanice are first mentioned in 1407 with a note about the courtyard and its fort with Vladiks from Vlkancic. During that time there is a reference to Pesek z Vlkancic who along with his neighbors build (not sure) the Chotoviny's church. Vidlak z Nachvalic lived here since the half of the 15th century and from the begining of the 16th century he was followed by Bares Netonicky from Nebilov who married Zdena Jana Vidlakova from Kuniho. After her death in 1544 the Estate was willed to her sons Jan and Jirik Netonicky. At that time Chotoviny, most likely, were combined with Vlkancice because from that point on there is no reference in any documents to Vlkancice but only Chotoviny.

The Netonicky brothers owned this Estate for the next ten years and each of them held a half of its value. After Jan's death the part of the Estate without the fort was given to his sons; Dobes, Vilem and Jirik, Netonicky brothers from Nebilov. They all passed away without any heirs. Six years later, after the death of the oldest one Jirik in 1580 his sisters Marketa, Anna and Mariana sold their portions to Vilem from Rozmberk. After his death the estate was passed on to Petr Voka who in 1593 sold part of the Chotoviny Estate to Bohuslav Vit from Rzavy.

Jiri Netonicky in 1554 sold the part of the village with the fort to Bohuslav Malovec from Malovic and from Nemysle . Than in 1568 Jan Lapacek from Rzavy and from Zahori acquired this portion of the Estate. He than joined this portion to his Estate in Cervene Zahori. After his death the entire estate went to his widow Katerina z Vrazny who in 1580 turned it over to he second husband Jirik Peripesky from Chys and Ehnerberek. Jirik abundantly developed and expanded this estate. Bohuslav Vita from Rzavy purchased this portion of the Chotoviny Estate in 1611 and he became the owner of the entire Chotoviny Estates.

After Bohuslav Vilem Vok Vita owned the estate from Rzavy. Before 1669 his son Mikulas sold the fort with two courtyards as well as the villages: Chotoviny, Sedlecko, Polanka, Jedlany, Pusty Dvur Jisov, Cernovice, Bukovice, Beranova Lhota, to Mr. Vaclav Vojtech Maxmilian Wratislav from Mitrovic. From him in 1962 Zikmund Vacla Staricky from Libstejn bought the estate for 30,000fl. His son Albert sold Chotoviny to Jan Lukas Krocik from Drahobyla in 1701. He was a resident of the town of Prague.

For the first 18 years Chotoviny experienced number of owners. After Lukas Krocik the owner of Chotoviny Estates became his son Kralik Leopold. In 1715 the owner became Zuzana Helena Bedarridesova from whom the estate was purchased by Marie Gotzova (born Nosticova) in 1715: the fort with courtyard, brewery and with villages: Chotoviny, part of Sedlecka, Jedlany and Beranova Lhota

In 1747 Jan Karel Soyer from Bergburk acquired the entire Estate. Unfortunately Jan Karel acquired debt with the Jesuits so the Estate was taken into the Jesuits' ownership between 1761-1768. Then the entire Estate was purchased by Antonin Kaspar count Migazzi. A new classical castle was built in a place of the old fort by his brother, cardinal Krystof Bartolomej count Migazzi. From its next heir Vincence Migazzi the estate was purchased by the count Jan Vaclav from Thurheim in 1802. And four years later the estate was sold to another Prague resident Jan Nadherny. Jan Naderny was declared Baron in 1838.

During 1873 - 75 Jan Nadherny remodeled the castle in a renaissance style according to the plans of architect V. Sigmund. Jan Nadherny added a park 22.5 ha (55.5 acre) in size in the first half of the 19th. Century. The park was recorded as a historical monument of I. category for its high dendrological value.

Jan Nadherny purchased the Chotoviny Estate for 350,000. Jan Nepomuk Nadherny exceeded with his economic courage and foresight as well as remarkable entrepreneurship. He generated wealth throughout the marketplace mainly in business with iron/metal and he was able to purchase economically declining farms/estates. All of his establishments including Chotoviny he soon improved and expanded. Throughout the Estates he focused on improvement of the field (agricultural) and forest economy, improvement of saddlery, he imported noble stock etc., thereby significantly contributed to the development of the entire region.

His descendants remained in Chotoviny until 1945, unfortunately at that time the entire Estates were taken away because allegedly they were collaborating with the Germans. The families Estates were returned to possession of the family Nadherny at the beginning of 90's of last century during the restitution.